The Killester Garden Village made up of 289 houses which comprises of Abbeyfield, Middle Third, The Demesne and The Orchard is the largest ex-servicemen housing estate in Ireland. It was built between 1920-1923 for Irish WW1 veterans who served with British Forces in the likes of the Somme and Gallipoli and returned to settle here in Killester with their families. Killester DART station and the first bus route in Killester were all established to serve this new community. The Legion Hall, as it’s known locally, was set up in 1932 as a community centre. The estate was ran by the Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust. The ex-servicemen in Killester also hosted an annual Armistice Day event in November on the green here at Killester.