Self Guided Tour of Monkstown Parish Church
This architecturally unusual church in the centre of Monkstown Village dates from 1789 and was radically extended by John Semple & Son in 1830. Semple also designed churches at Whitechurch, Kilternan, Tallaght, St Mary’s Chapel of Ease (Black Church), Abbeyleix and Killeshin. When opened on Christmas Day 1831, the Dublin Penny Journal claimed that there was not a spot in the church where the eye could rest without pain! One hundred years later Sir John Betjeman described it as ‘a cheerful Irish castle with a seaside rather than a fortress flavour.’
Come along to decide for yourself whether these descriptions adequately describe this extraordinary building!
The church is partially wheelchair accessible, and free guide leaflets, quizzes for adults and treasure hunts and quizzes for children will be available.